Hiding behind flashy apps

Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 by Kathryn McConnachie in Labels: , , , ,
1

As you may remember, I said that in blogging post-BJourn, I only write when something grates my carrot sufficiently to inspire a post. Well today while I was minding everyone else's business on Twitter, I came across an especially annoying PR announcement from one of my arch enemies - Proctor & Gamble.

Those of you who know me would know that I am quite reserved, so for something to inspire an "Oh no you didn't!" reaction (with the finger snaps and head bobbing to match), it must be pretty serious.

Apparently, the company is now trying to align itself with green-initiatives, by releasing its own smartphone application that helps users measure their carbon footprint. HA!

Funny that. Especially since P&G is a major polluter, user of harmful chemicals and bane of many bunnies' existence as it still carries out various forms of product testing on animals.

Green? Environmentally aware? Compassionate? I think not. And I hope consumers don't get distracted by the 'cool' of the new offering - if anything it's like they're trying to say "Ooh look! A shiny object!" to veer attention away from their own dirty habits. Don't fall for it.

The press release says that P&G is "providing shoppers the opportunity to get a better understanding of their personal impact on the planet" with a "fun" new iPhone, iPad or Droid enabled application. The app, called "My Carbon Footprint," is an interactive, social media-enabled carbon footprint gauge powered by P&G's Future Friendly initiative. It will become available on Earth Day on 22 April.

Excuse me while I hit my head against a wall repeatedly.

I would be suitably impressed if they developed an app that had a harmful chemical and unethical-business-practices radar that beeped loudly when a user came into contact with P&G products (Unilever too for that matter... actually ALL of the companies on the Beauty Without Cruelty blacklist). Now THAT would be an app I could use.

Apparently, users of this new app (who I'm sure will all be patting themselves on the back for being so 'environmentally aware') can generate their own 'personal planet' based on responses to questions such as "What is your gas mileage?". How about asking, "What shampoo/toothpaste/beauty products do you use?"

Users will also receive tips "to help them make simple choices, which can create meaningful results". Ya, sure. I have a meaningful result for P&G - the boycotting of their products!

The icing on the cake is that P&G says its goal is to "spread the word that the little changes we make every day can have a big impact on the environment". How very true. What sage advice P&G, thank you for patronizing us.

One of the small changes that could have the most profound impact is simply switching beauty products.

If you don't understand why, I suggest taking a look at HarmlessHouse.co.za - a new local start-up that makes organic, cruelty-free certified products available in a few clicks (the website will go live soon).You can also download the 'Cruelty Free!' smartphone app by browsing your app directory on you phone - I think there are currently both Apple and Android apps available.

Change begins with what we buy everyday. Don't be conned by marketing ploys by the big companies who have a monopoly on the market and who are not 'green' or 'cruelty free' by any measure.

1 comments:

  1. Well. So well said . Glad, A beautiful philosophical profile for Social Change via Media. Your narration, inspirational and fun. True what You said, on Social CauseS . Thank You for sharing so impressively the Social Concern. With Best Wishes.